Making Sense of YouTube and SlideShare
A video-sharing website, it was bought by Google in 2006. That move allows Google, the number one search engine in the world, to enhance video search capabilities. By the way, YouTube is the number two search engine.
As a SBO, this puts the power of video into your hands. Videos can be embedded in your site, drawing more attention and holding it longer.
Here is a look:
- The platform allows its users to upload, view, rate, share, add to favorites, report and comment on videos
- Available content includes video clips, TV show clips, music videos, short and documentary films, audio recordings, movie trailers and other content such as video blogging, short original videos and educational videos (think “how-tos”)
- The vast majority of the content on YouTube has been uploaded by individuals.
- Unregistered users can watch videos on the site as well
- A user must be registered to upload content.
- An unlimited number of videos can be uploaded.
- A user must be registered to add comments to videos.
Videos make your site/blog more dynamic and can help boost search engine optimization (SEO), making your site more noticeable by search engines. The dynamics really begin to change when you find a way to use videos strategically in your blogging. We’re going to get into some of that in upcoming blogs.
A presentation hosting service, acquired by LinkedIn in 2012.
- Users can upload presentations to the platform for hosting
- Acceptable file formats include PowerPoint, PDF, Keynote or OpenDocument.
- Presentations can be hosted on the site either privately or publicly.
- The slide decks can then be viewed on the site itself or can be embedded on other sites.
- The “best of” slide decks are featured daily.
- Access information easily provided by experts in their fields to help you run your business on any topic.
Maybe the use of slide presentations at work has never occurred to you. Employees can access training of any kind, anywhere and at any time using presentations built by you or professionally. All they have to do is sign into SlideShare from any device and review slides rather than read large amounts of text.
If slide presentations are a tool used by your business, imagine a library of
ready-access slides available 24/7 for whatever the purpose.
Next up…How email and traditional advertising factors into all of this.